Here is how I made it. Not many changes from the original.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped (I used i container of my pre-cooked chicken)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons butter (can use olive oil to be healthy. I just love my onions sauteed in butter.)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada cauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- (original reciepe called for 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies. I only had whole and didn't want to chop them. It would have been great with the addition of the chilies.)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, saute onions in butter for a couple of minutes, add peppers and continue to cook for another couple of minutes. (If using raw chicken, add it at the beginning.) Stir in water, corn, rice, enchilada sauce, chicken (if using pre-cooked) and salt. (add chilies if using.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted.
Brandon tossed some tortilla chips on a cookie sheet, threw some cheese on top of that, and baked it in the oven until the cheese melted as a side for our soup.