Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sweet and Sour pork

I picked this recipe mostly because I like the typical dish or at least what I think of as Sweet and Sour pork.  This was different than that - typically I think that dish has pineapple, this did not.  I did however like that you made your own sauce.  That was different for me.  I was actually interested to see how it turned out as I was mixing the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
It is another recipe from my food network magazine, but I definitely liked this one more than the chicken Parmesan.
You can find the original recipe here.  I'm going to end up typing this out because I made a few to many changes.   - mostly just up-sizing for my family, and cutting out some of the oil.

Ingredients

  • 1.25-1.5 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup sugar, plus a pinch
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 3 scallions, sliced
  • 4 cups snow peas, cut in half
Directions
  1. Toss the pork with 1/2 tablespoon vinegar and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, the soy sauce, cornstarch, ketchup, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in another bowl.
  2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the pork and slowly stir until it turns mostly opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Discard the oil and wipe out the skillet.
  3. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon  oil in the skillet, then stir-fry the garlic with a pinch each of salt and sugar, 15 seconds. Add the carrots and scallions and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. (Add a little water if the garlic starts to stick to the skillet. I had not trouble, but my pot is new and the non-stick is great.) Add the pork, snow peas and soy sauce mixture; stir until the pork is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails