Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tomato Oregano Parmesan soup -Slow cooker

Here is the soup that we had with the peasant bread in the previous post.  It too comes from recipe shoebox.  I did actually change this one a little bit.  I'm not a huge fan of dried basil - love the stuff fresh, but dried just doesn't have the same flavor, so I swapped my amounts of oregano and basil making this a tomato Oregano rather than tomato basil soup.  I'd love to make it with more basil, but would do that when I had some fresh out in the garden.  While this was good, and I had seconds, I haven't eaten the left overs yet, so it gets bumped from 4 to 3.5 star rating.  :)  There is something to be said for whether or not I choose to eat the left overs quickly or not.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cans (14-ounces each) diced tomatoes, with juice (or 1 28 oz can)
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots (I sliced mine for laziness, and would dice them next time.)
  • 4 cups chicken stock (1 32 oz. container)
  •  onion, finely diced  
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 Tablespoon. dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups half and half, warmed
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions: 
  1. In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil.  Cover and cook on low for 5-7  hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.  
  2. About an hour before serving prepare a roux:  Melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.  Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker.  Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.  
  3. Add all back into the slow cooker.  Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt, and pepper.  Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve.  Serve with fresh hot bread.   Makes about 2 quarts--6-8 servings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails