- 2 cans (14-ounces each) diced tomatoes, with juice (or 1 28 oz can)
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots (I sliced mine for laziness, and would dice them next time.)
- 4 cups chicken stock (1 32 oz. container)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon. dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half and half, warmed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
- About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.
- Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Serve with fresh hot bread. Makes about 2 quarts--6-8 servings.