Sunday, February 13, 2011

In 'n Out double double

Well, I must update my poor blog.  I have lots of pictures with no recipes or even info.  This one that has been sitting here for 2 weeks with only a picture was from a fun book I found at the library. (Hmm, just put the Amazon link and I see that it is only 5.98.  I may have to go order that.  :)  We tried a few of the recipes from it.  This day I may or may not have also tried the Arby's curly fries -  I wasn't nearly as impressed with them.  They were spicier than the original, and I never found the little tool that curls them.  I'm not even bothering with a post for them.  
These burgers were her version of and In 'n Out Double double.  The thing I really liked about her cookbook was that she was trying to make healthier versions of the original that still tasted good.  As far as I could tell with most of the burgers, it was all about the sauce.  She didn't season the meat at all.  (I did.)  I also changed all cheeses to something better than American - I'm so NOT a fan of American cheese - yuck.  Here we put cheddar.  The burgers were good, but probably could have used more sauce.
Another thing about her book - all recipes were for a single serving, so adjusting for a family is necessary.  This is how I made these.
Ingredients
  • 1.5 lbs lean ground beef.  (this is enough for 6 double doubles)
  • pinch season salt
  • 6 buns
  • 1 tomato - sliced
  • several leaves of lettuce
  • cheddar cheese
  • onion (I would have grilled these if I had time)
Sauce ingredients
  • 1/2 cup light mayo
  • 4 teaspoons ketchup
  • 4 teaspoon drained dill relish
Directions
  1. Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl.  
  2. Mix beef with season salt.  Divide into 2 oz. balls and shape each into a 4" patty.  (These will be pretty thin.)
  3. Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until it sizzles when sprinkled with water.  Place patties in the pan.  Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until patties are browned but still slightly pink inside.
  4. Meanwhile toast buns (she says in the pan next to the 1 burger she was making, we toasted them in the toaster on the bagel pre-set.)
  5. Build the burger.  You can see how we made it.  (She has directions - bun, sauce, tomato, lettuce, patty 1, cheese, onion, patty 2, cheese, bun top.)  I'd probably put my cheese on my burgers in the pan next time so it would melt.  

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails