Thursday, May 24, 2012

Apple Barley Tart

This original recipe intrigued me for 2 reasons.  1 because it used quince and I have never even heard of that fruit let alone tried it.  Sadly I couldn't find it in the 3 stores I checked in over the week.  However, I was also intrigued by the use of barley.  I'm always interested in using different grains.  This was quite tasty.  Benjamin absolutely loved it and had seconds and thirds.  That is a treat because he usually hates all dinners.  Aaron wouldn't really eat it - ate his 3 bites worth and filled up on salad.  Tavio complained it was too sweet but ate his whole piece.  The rest of us liked it, so go figure - mixed reviews.  It was pretty sweet for a dinner meal, but it also had the Swiss cheese in there to counter act the sweet of the apple.  Thank goodness my apple jelly was expired or it would have been even sweeter.  As it was, I don't think I would have wanted any more sweetness, and I was glad I didn't have the apple jelly that was in the original recipe.  Here is how we made it.

Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I used Jarlsberg)
  • 2 cups barley cooked and cooled (I used whole grain barley -both whole grain and pearled say simmer 1 cup in 3 cups water for 45-50 minutes. Worked well for me and I had left over.)
  • 1 red apple cored and diced
  • 1 green apple cored and diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates
  • 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie crust (I used this recipe with wheat flour and coconut palm sugar)   
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  
  2. Lightly beat eggs in a large mixing bowl.  Stir in cheese, barley, apples and dates.  Pour into the pie crust.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes or so until the bottom browns (I believe I had to add a few minutes 2-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails