Saturday, May 26, 2012

healthy chocolate squares

While making this treat, I determined that I was definitely NOT going to blog about it or ever make it again because first I had it in my food processor.  It started smoking - thought I had ruined it.  I have to admit that I have a super cheap, tiny food processor, so I can not complain about that.  Then I threw this into the blendtec and it was so thick that it was still hard to blend and I had to stop and push it down into the blades a ton of times.  The dates never got really chopped up, and it was a total pain to make.
However, then I ate them....
Well, you see the post don't you.  Yes, they were that good and healthy to boot.  I WILL find an easier/more effective way to make these.  (Starting out with fresher dates may be helpful.)  :)
This recipe is also adapted from one in my new e-book.
I have to say the picture isn't much to look at - they were sticky and hard to cut, but again, you see the post right?  After it was difficult to make - but look at the ingredients - who gets a bunch of fruit and nuts when they eat chocolate???  OK, now I want to make some more.  I finished these off today before dinner. Too bad I'm out of dates.  Better go add them to my shopping list.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dates
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/4-1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1/4-1/3 cup hazelnuts
  • 5 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • pinch salt
  • coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
Directions
  1. Process all of the ingredients except coconut oil any way you can think of.  I would say high powered blender, or a better food processor than I have.  I may even try my immersion blender - not sure but rest assured I'll keep trying.  :)  Process until it is a nice gooey glob.  It should still have chunks of nuts, but hopefully not much fruit (although mine had plenty of date chunks and it was still delicious - but I used whole dates, not chopped.)
  2. Line a bread pan with wax paper. (I didn't originally line the pan, but I found I didn't want to cut it in the pan and it was a bit hard to take out.  My thought is paper will make it much easier next time.)  Coat the wax paper with coconut oil (or butter.)  
  3. Press mix into the bottom of the pan.  Freeze for 20 minutes or so to make the mix more solid.  
  4. Remove paper from the pan and cut into square.
  5. Keep stored in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails