- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced (3/4 cup is what I used)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup dried brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 scallion, copped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, saute the onions in butter until fragrant - adding the carrots as you chop, then the garlic, cumin and coriander closer to the end with the olive oil. Saute just until combined and stir in the rice and lentils. Saute for another minute or 2.
- Add the water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender.
- stir in scallion and cilantro. Stir to combine. Serve