Sunday, May 6, 2012

Brown rice and lentils

For some reason I had a hard time wanting to make lentils this week.  I think because this recipe was spiced kind of similar to the black beans I made on Monday.  However, I ended up liking the lentils a bit more than the black beans.  Having said that, I do have to admit, that for lunch I've been eating the black beans, but that is mostly because I can wrap them in a tortilla and toss some salsa on them, and I really like them that way.  All in all, not a bad lentil recipe.  It comes from my 365 ways to cook rice, beans and grains.  Great book.  I highly recommend it if wanting to add more legumes and grains.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion diced (3/4 cup is what I used)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
  • 3/4 cup dried brown or green lentils, rinsed
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 scallion, copped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, saute the onions in butter until fragrant - adding the carrots as you chop, then the garlic, cumin and coriander closer to the end with the olive oil.  Saute just until combined and stir in the rice and lentils.  Saute for another minute or 2.  
  2. Add the water and salt.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender.  
  3. stir in scallion and cilantro.  Stir to combine.  Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails