Saturday, May 5, 2012

whole wheat banana nut bread

Yesterday I had some bananas that needed to be used (actually have some more today.  :)  And I had some zucchini that I needed to use so for some reason even though I was teaching a piano lesson and making home-made pizza (ie making bread dough) I decided to go ahead and make both of those as well.  I think the thing that possessed me to do such a thing was the fact that both recipes were in the vitamix book.  I guess I figured anything made in the blender has to be speedy right?  Although the recipe said it only took 5 minutes prep an 10-15 seconds blender time, it took me more like 30 minutes to get both recipes prepared.  They were quick, and the blender helped, and maybe if you weren't distracted by children attempting to do dishes or wanting you to play it would take closer to the 5 minutes projected time in the book.  But I was making this "hurriedly"  making this before my piano student arrived.  Ha Ha!

OK, to the bread - this was a nice banana bread (except for the fact that it stuck like crazy to the bread pan, but that was totally my fault.  I forgot to add the applesauce and stirred it in while it was in the pan thus making my non-stick spray quite ineffective.)  I liked this as a different banana bread.  It wasn't overly heavy on the bananas (I actually usually like more banana, and think I'd like to omit the applesauce next time and use another banana, but that is an experiment for another day.)  This bread had a more "bready" texture than regular banana bread.  Usually banana bread is a bit more dense.  This was a bit lighter with a texture a bit more like a yeast bread even though this had no yeast.  It also had a hint of lemon flavor (can't taste it today, but fresh I could taste it.)
I have altered this recipe changing out the oils and sugar.  The vitamix book used a heart healthy butter spread.  I'm into using more real foods and in this case chose coconut oil.
See how sad - the middle totally fell out when I turned the bread over.  

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon lemon peel
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (reserve some for the top of the bread)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray
  2. combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl  Set aside
  3. Place egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, milk, lemon peel, bananas and applesauce in the blender.  Blend for 10-15 seconds or until smooth.
  4. Mix wet and dry ingredients (by pulsing in the blender, or just mixing by hand.  Stir in nuts.
  5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes (I'd check at about 55.  For a change this banana bread actually took a bit less than the recipe said it would.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails