Tuesday, May 15, 2012

summer salad with noodles

Here's a simple salad made a bit unique by adding in noodles.   The original recipe called for shell shaped.  I didn't have any so I just used my ditalini.  Sure shells may have been cuter, but I live in a house of boys who could care less, so why not use what needs to be used in the pantry right?
I loved that this salad was super simple.  It used mixed young salad greens.  I just got a box of the organic spring mix at costco and wha-la, my lettuce was prepped for me.  Super easy.  I did have to slice strawberries and grapes, but I sliced them out of the colander where they were rinsed right into the salad.  The sauce whipped up super simple as well - I just loved that I wasn't dicing a ton of veggies, and clean up was a breeze.  1 pot from the pasta, a paring knife, whisk and a bowl.  Can't beat that.
This salad did turn out summery and light.  I thought it was a nice change from our normal green salad.  The noodles added a fun texture and the dual fruits added nice sweetness.
Here's my version - I did make more than the original - probably wouldn't do that again. (so only use 3 handfuls of greens, 2 cups cooked pasta, 1 cup each of the fruits)  When I did it, I was thinking it would be our only dinner, but the calories were pretty low on it so I added "cheese melted" (at least that's what we called them at my house when we were little - open faced grilled cheese sandwiches if you want to be technical. ;)  I do have to mention that I am writing the increased amount of dressing I made.  I didn't use it all on the salad thinking kids may or may not like it.

Ingredients

  • 4 handfuls mixed young salad greens
  • 3 cups ditalini pasta, cooked and cooled
  • 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries (I used about 1/2 a lb)
  • 1 1/2 cups grapes, cut in half
  • 3 Tablespoons plain yogurt (I used Greek)
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons honey or to taste
Directions

  1. Toss the greens with the shells, strawberries, and grapes and set aside.
  2. Whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, and honey and toss with the salad ingredients.  
One additional note - I actually used 5 tablespoons yogurt and 3 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and honey but I didn't end up pouring it all on the salad.  Rather than be wasteful, I just wrote what was in the original recipe because that amount would probably have been fine for the amount of salad we had. - at least at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails