Thursday, May 3, 2012

cuban black beans and rice

I was going to post a tortilla recipe here, but I'm on a six o'clock scramble roll, so here is another idea I got from there - again, super modified because I decided to use dry black beans and cook the black beans and rice together like a green smoothie girl recipe I tried a while back.  I also subbed a tiny v8 for vegetable or chicken broth because I had it and it was about the right amount without having to open a can.....
While this wasn't my favorite black bean recipe of all time, it is a nice, mild flavored black bean.  I wished it had a bit more flavor, however, those trying to appeal to a crowd with varied palates might enjoy this.
I will say I didn't have many complaints, and Duncan has loved this as much as the vegetarian chili I made last month.  He's had it every day for lunch - ok so have I.  Might I suggest topping it with some tasty salsa (I'm loving whatever fresh salsa they sell at Costco - has a hint of lime flavor.  YUM)  and some sour cream or cheese.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups dry brown rice
  • 1 medium leek, chopped (use white part and about 1/2 inch of green part
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped (I just tossed in a handful I had diced and frozen)
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice (I think I just juiced a whole lemon)
  • 1 5 oz can v8 (or 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth or stock)
  • 2 cups dry black beans (soaked overnight)
  • 6 cups water
  • sour cream or plain yogurt for serving
Directions
  1. In a large stockpot, bring beans to a boil in the 6 cups of water.  Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.  (If you soak your beans overnight and until the next afternoon, they will probably take less than 2 hours, unless they are old or something.)
  2. When beans are tender, Soak the leek in cold water for a few minutes to clean thoroughly.  
  3. Add the rice to the beans.
  4. In a saute pan melt butter over medium heat.  Saute leek for a minute or 2 then add garlic, bell pepper, celery and continue sauteing (basically I add to the pan as I chop, then stir)  Add cumin, thyme, pepper, lemon juice and v8.  Stir to combine, and pour into the rice and bean pot.
  5. Continue simmering for about 1 hour or until desired consistency/texture is reached.
  6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and/or salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails