Monday, May 7, 2012

black bean-sweet potato cakes

It is a good thing I have made some successful sweet potato pancakes recently or these would have been a total flop.  The recipe I was following called for only 2 eggs and no flour.  Let's just say my first batch looked more like hash browns that any sort of pancake.
This recipe also called for a lot more cilantro and chives than I put in (mostly because I didn't have that many chives in the garden.)  I ended up adding some seasoning as well.  Then they were delicious.  Still come in second place to these.
Here is how I ended up making them.


Ingredients

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
  • 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 Tablespoon chopped chives (could up to 1/4 cup and skip the onion powder or omit completely)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro (couldn't really taste this either.  I should have chopped more to have any flavor or omit it entirely.)
  • 4 eggs 
  • salt and pepper to taste - you want at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt probably up to 1 teaspoon
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • dash of onion powder 1/4-1/2 teaspoon maybe
  • oil for frying 1-2 Tablespoons per batch.  I used olive and coconut oil.
Directions

  1. In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the egg, onion powder, salt, pepper, cilantro and chives (if using) Add the sweet potatoes, black beans and flour and stir until well combined.
  2. Heat 1-2 Tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick griddle over medium heat.  Drop batter on briddle by spoonful to make pancakes.  Flatten with the top of the spoon.  Brown on one side then flip and brown on the other side. 
  3. You can keep these warm in a warm oven or cover them.
I ate one of these topped with salsa, because eating them plain I thought I would like it.  Turns out I liked them better plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails