Friday, May 4, 2012

whole wheat and flax tortillas and quesadillas

A few weeks ago I tried this recipe for tortillas.  I had comments from yuck it's wheat from my loving 13 year old and probably an "I'm not eating dinner today - I'm not hungry." from the same guy.  to my husband really complementing the meal and how impressed he was at how I've managed to make so many vegetarian meals and keep the variety up.  So, take your pick.  They were good enough.  Maybe a bit more wheat flavored than the other wheat tortilla's I've made - honestly it has to be the flax because that is the only real difference.  I did like that this incorporated some flax, and my biggest complaint was really from the 13 year old.  Everyone else was happy that I was serving these as quesadillas stuffed with vegetarian chili and cheese.  Other than being time consuming (home made tortillas just are - then add on time to make them quesadillas) these were good.  I was actually a bit upset when there were no left overs for lunch the next day (extras had been eaten after dinner the night before and taken to school by my high schooler for lunch that day.)  That is a very good sign.  :)  There are no pictures of these and to tell the truth, they weren't extremely pretty so I'm not all that sad I made them in a non-picture taking phase.  :)   However, they did taste good and that's what matters right?


Ingredients
  • 5 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup freshly ground flax seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Up to 2 Tablespoons seasoning (brewer's yeast, powdered garlic, powdered sage, chili powder etc. -I just used a bit of garlic powder, and  maybe a dash of onion powder)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups warm water
Directions
  1. Using a dough hook mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet.  If it is too dry, add more water a spoonful at a time.  Mix until a ball forms.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.  
  2. Separate into 16 pieces and form into balls.  Roll each ball into a very thin 10" circle.  Stack them on a plate and cover with a damp cloth. (I didn't do this part.  I just rolled and cooked as I went. 
  3.  Preheat griddle to medium-high.  Place dough rounds on the griddle, flipping when air pockets form and piercing the air bubbles. (I never saw air bubbles - honestly it was what really attracted me to this recipe.  I was hoping for bubbles.  My homemade tortillas never bubble -thought it was just my recipe but maybe it is just me.)
  4.  Tortillas are done when golden on both sides.  Use immediately or store in a ziploc in the fridge or freezer.

Quesadillas

Ingredients
  • tortillas
  • refried beans or  vegetarian chili
  • cheese (cheddar, Monterrey Jack, colby jack....)
  • Optional: salsa or sour cream to top them or dip them
Spread beans over half of the tortilla.  Top with cheese.  Flip the other half of the tortilla up to cover the beans and cheese.  Heat until cheese is melted; flipping to the other side midway through cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails