Friday, March 5, 2010

black bean and pumpkin chili

I actually made this the other day when I went to Ft. Worth to run the marathon. I left it in the crock pot for the kids and Grandpa, but they didn't leave any left overs so I didn't get to try it. We have a ward chili cookoff tonight, so I'm trying it again. The boys said it was good. We'll see. - It was good. One of the better chilis I ate- didn't win any prizes, so I don't know where the tasty chili was, but it wasn't in the ones I put on the boys plates to try. This was good. Not too spicy, with a nice flavor, but part of the flavor was due to the bbq chicken. I have made this twice now and never managed to take a picture, so no picture.

Ingredients
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves carlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cans (15 oz.) diced, cooked chicken (I just used my pre-cooked -original recipe was turkey)
  • 1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, saute onion, yellow pepper and galic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients.
  2. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails