Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken with Hollandaise and Greek Salad

This is the last recipe from my week 1 of The Family Dinner Fix Book. Definitely a book I recommend if all the recipes are as good as this first week. I have loved that they have been healthy (or healthier) and have included veggies. I have also liked that she does her own salad dressings a lot of the time (as in this recipe.) Definitely a good find. If the rest of the book turns out to have recipes as good as the first part, I'll probably look into getting another one of her books.
This was the most time consuming of the meals I made from this book, and semi vague about the time needed to cook the chicken, but it did turn out to take about as long as it took to assemble the salad. (I had Brandon helping me though, so it may take longer to make the salad than to cook the chicken if making it alone.)

Ingredients
  • 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 lbs) I used closer t0 2 lbs
  • 1 tsp prepared garlic per breast (from a jar) -wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a creamy stuff, but I couldn't find that so I just used 1/2 tsp minced garlic per piece.
  • 2-3 asparagus spears per chicken breast
  • toothpick
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dry white whine
  • 1 can chicken broth (10 oz)
Salad Ingredients
  • 3 roma tomatoes
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbles
  • 1/2 cup black olives
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil (I only used 1)
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 head red leaf lettuce
Healthier Hollandaise
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (I was out and didn't know it so I used prepared mustard)
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional -I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup 1 % milk
Directions
  1. I actually cut my larger chicken breasts in half and pounded them a bit if they were really thick though it wasn't part of the original instructions. Smear garlic on rough side of each chicken breast. Lay asparagus on top. Roll the breast around the asparagus. Secure with a toothpick. Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan at medium high heat. Brown rolled chicken on all sides, then add wine and chicken broth to pan. Simmer at medium-high heat, uncovered turning once, until liquid has almost evaporated. Cover and remove from heat. (I actually covered mine because they weren't ready (at least 160 - although the recipe says 180) when all of the liquid was almost simmered out. I simmered covered for a few more minutes until they were done.
  2. While the chicken is cooking, Cut the tomatoes and cumbers into chunks. Place in a large serving bowl. Sliver onion and crumble feta, add to bowl. Add olives if desired. Sprinkle spices all over, then drizzle with olive oil,k lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Toss and let stand in fridge. Clean and chop lettuce. I actually combined the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisked them together, then combined all of the salad ingredients, added the dressing and tossed.
  3. Beat egg yolks with a whisk in a small saucepan. (no heat yet) Add lemon juice, dry mustard and Tabasco to yolks. Whisk together to combine. Melt butter in microwave. Very slowly drizzle the butter into egg yolks while whisking, then place on medium-low heat. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Heat through while whisking. Remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails