Sunday, March 28, 2010

Orange Marinated chicken with smoky tomato salsa

This is another recipe from Steven Raichlen's Healthy Latin cooking book. I changed it a bit -increasing it from 4 to 6 chicken breasts and increasing ingredients, but not necessarily in the exact same proportions. I also changed the salsa from chipoltes to jalapenos because the canned chipotles I've used lately have all been too spicy for the family. A Chipotle is a jalapeno anyway, so I used a jalapeno and roasted it on the grill with the other veggies. I really liked the way the salsa turned out. It was a bit sweet. Not too spicy. I may have even liked a bit more spice to the salsa and little less cilantro, but it was the best salsa we have made of the 3 I've done in the last month or so.

Chicken and marinade ingredients
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz each)
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 3 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 clove garlic, minced

Salsa Ingredients

  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 jalapenos
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (I porbably used about 1/3 cup and it was a bit too much for me.)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons lime juice
  • salt and pepper
  • dash chipotle pepper seasoning (I used this very sparingly and would probably add more next time.)

Directions:

Chicken:

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange in a 9X13 pan. In a small bowl, combine the oj, lime juice and garlic. Whisk to mix. Pour over chicken. Cover and marinate for 60 minutes.

Salsa:

While the chicken marinating, preheat the grill. Place tomatoes, jalapeno, onions and garlic (skewer the garlic, and my onions ended up skewered by the end) on the grill to roast, turning occasionally until starting to char. Remove from grill and allow to cool until you can handle them.

While they are cooling, put the chicken on the grill to cook. Cook until 160. Recipe book said 3 minutes on each side, but it took longer than that on my grill.

Go back to the salsa and remove any charred skin you don't want in the salsa (a little gives it the nice smokey flavor, so don't worry about removing all of them.) Combine grilled veggies and the rest of the salsa ingredients in a food processor. Puree until the desired smoothness. (I seeded and deveined my jalapeno so it wouldn't be too spicy.) Add salt and pepper to taste.

Warm some tortillas on the grill

To serve, spoon salsa in a pool on the plate and place grilled chicken breast in the center of each. Serve with tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails