Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Creamy Pesto Penne with vegetable ribbons

This recipe is from Taste of Home simple and delicious magazine. It was for 4 and I wanted to make it for 6 so I changed up the ingredients - either adding 1 1/2 times the ingredients or 1 1/3. It turned out ok, but not a favorite of the kids. Brandon and I liked it, and Duncan ate it great. Brandon even gave it a 4 and said it was one of the best squash meals he ever had because he couldn't really taste the squash.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups penne pasta
  • 1 cup edamame, shelled and cooked (I may have used 2 cups)
  • 6 carrots
  • 3 yellow summer squash
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons prepared pesto
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I didn't up this and Brandon thought it still needed salt. I thought it was fine.)
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (I didn't toast them, and I could have chopped more, but I knew that Tavio wouldn't have any.)

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Cook edamame according to package directions. (I got a steam bag) Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, cut carrots and squash into very thin lengthwise strips.
  2. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add veggies and garlic; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until crips-tender. Stir in cream, pesto and salt. Bring to a gentle boil; cooke for 2-4 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and veggies are tender. Add pasta and edamame; toss with veggies. Top with walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails