Monday, March 8, 2010

Greek Pitas including pita recipe

Wow, I thought I had this recipe on my blog, but it wasn't there. I had posted it on my sister's blog before I started this one. I didn't just make them, so I don't have a picture right now, but I wanted to make the pitas for lunch (hope I still have time.) Ha, and after all that, I'm going to use another pita recipe with more wheat in it.

Greek pitas - these were super yummy, and simple

Ingredients

Pitas (recipe follows if you are brave enough to make your own, but that is what made the recipe)
hummus
2 cups chopped cooked chicken we grill up a ton, chop it and freeze it so it is always handy)
1 small container plain yogurt (6 or 8 oz)
2 tsp mint leaves
2 sliced tomatoes
1 sliced cucumber

Mix the mint leaves into the yogurt. Set aside.
Open pitas, spread hummus on one side. Fill with chicken, a couple slices of tomato and cucumber. Top with the yogurt sauce. Yum
I didn't have cucumbers (the ones I had bought were horribly bitter) so we just used lettuce. It was just as tasty. Somewhere in there I was supposed to add some greek seasoning, but I forgot. I'm sure they would be even better if I had mixed that with the chicken.

We couldn't find pitas at the store, so I searched at Sparkpeople.com (actually a weight loss sight, but they have lots of tasty recipes that are rated, and sometimes even healthy) Anyway, I found the following recipe for pitas - YUM! Never buying pitas again. I found the dough to be super sticky and had to roll them in lots of flour. I also will probably try baking them on my pizza stone next time rather than using all of the little pieces of aluminum foil.

Pitas

Ingredients
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1.5 cup white flour
    1.5 tsp salt
    1Tbsp white sugar
    2 tsp dry active yeast
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 cup water warmed to 105-110 F


Directions

Preheat oven to 500 F
1. Blend 1 cup of the flour with the rest of the dry ingredients
2. Add water, then olive oil and mix thoroughly
3. Add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time kneading by hand by the end until all flour is worked through (about 5 mins kneading)
4. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and shape like a bun
5. Cover dough with a tea towel and let "rest" for approx 20-30 min depending on how warm your room is. (Warmer rooms need less time)
6. Roll each pita to 3/16" thick and place on individual squares of tin foil
7. Place 4 at a time right on the oven rack and bake for 5-7 minutes
8. When removing from the oven, stack them directly together immediately while hot so they stay soft, and cool stacked and wrapped in foil.
Note: Some may not puff, but YUM... eat them while hot or use them as crusts for quick mini pizzas or brush with olive oil and garlic and re-bake to make pita chips

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails